Sharing Place Overview
The Sharing Place Food Pantry is a material assistance program which provides food for families residing in an eleven zip code service area in Marion and Hancock Counties, Indiana.
The Sharing Place is staffed by our wonderful and talented volunteers recruited from the community and local congregations.
Clients are eligible to receive food two times per month. Food assistance services do not require a referral, but do require proof of residence at each visit, such as a piece of mail or current government issued ID.
The Sharing Place is located at 6501 Sunnyside Road, Indianapolis, IN 46236. (Inside the Metropolitan School District of Lawrence Township Education and Community Center - Please enter through Door Five)
The Sharing Place is generally open the following dates/times:
- Mondays – 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Tuesdays – 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Thursdays – 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- 2nd Saturday of every month – 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Throughout the COVID-19 crisis, The Sharing Place is still serving the community. Even though Lawrence Township Schools may be closed, the Sharing Place will be open normal days and hours with the exception of the days listed below:
The Sharing Place Food Pantry will be closed the following Days in 2021;
- Monday, January 18, 2021 - MLK JR. DAY
- Monday, February 15, 2021 - Presidents' Day
- Monday, March 29 through Sunday, April 4, 2021 - Holy Week
- Monday, May 31, 2021 - Memorial Day
- Monday, July 5, 2021 - Independence Day
- Monday, September 6, 2021 - Labor Day
- Thursday, November 25, 2021 - Thanksgiving Day
- Thurs, Dec 23, 2021 through Wednesday, Jan 5, 2022 - Christmas and New Years
The Sharing Place serves the following zip code areas of Marion and Hancock Counties, Indiana: 46055, 46216, 46218, 46219, 46220, 46226, 46235, 46236, 46249, 46250, and 46256
Become a Volunteer/Make an Impact
The Sharing Place requires the assistance of dedicated volunteers each week. Are you interested in serving others, and making an impact in the local Lawrence community? The following are some current volunteer opportunities/needs:
- Pick up donated food from grocery stores
- Assisting clients/families during times we are serving them
- Box prepackaged food items for clients/families
- Bag produce and other items
- Sort incoming food and toiletry donations
- Restock shelves
To volunteer at the Sharing Place, visit our Volunteer Portal where you may create an online account (for anyone at least 13 years of age) to access/sign up for available shifts. There is no training required prior to serving at The Sharing Place. All roles have on the job training we provide the first time you volunteer with us. Our goal is to find a serving opportunity that is just right for you. We are taking appropriate measures to keep our volunteers safe and healthy (wearing face masks, providing hand sanitizer areas, cleaning/disinfecting, etc.)
For additional information, please contact us via e-mail at SharingPlace@lutheranfamily.org
Adjunct Services of the Sharing Place include The Emergency Diaper Dispensary (TEDD) and the Christmas Store. Both of these services are by referral only. You must currently be engaged with a caseworker who refers to our programs to access these services.
The Christmas Store is a seasonal giving program to support struggling families by providing them with a selection of Christmas gifts for their children and Christmas dinner.
The Emergency Diaper Dispensary (TEDD) is a diaper assistance program providing diapers to babies and families in need. Click here to contact us about the TEDD program.
Please see the links below for additional information about the Christmas Store and TEDD